Growing up, the only slice and bake cookies I knew about came from the store. Like, homemade slice and bake? What’s that?
OH HOW I WISH I HAD KNOWN. Slice and bake cookies are my new favorite thing for so many reasons:
1) They are the cutest size
2) They can hang out in the fridge for up to 2 days, so you can make em now and bake em later
3) You can eat 4 and feel totally cool about it
4) They’re one of those baked goods that’s deceptively simple, but looks like you spent a ton of time perfecting your baking craft
5) They’re buttery, shortbready, and yet somehow totally moist?!
I could go on, but you get the idea. Point being, slice and bake cookies ROCK.
These Pecan Chocolate Chip Slice and Bake Cookies were especially tasty thanks to finely chopped pecans and chocolate chips.
Oh and then of course we repeated that theme by dipping the cookies in melted chocolate chips and topping them with more crushed pecans. Yep. I’m into it.
I made them using my favorite chocolate chips from Ghirardelli, the Dark Chocolate 60% Cacao Baking Chips.
Unlike a lot of other chocolate chips I’ve worked with in the past, these chips don’t seize up and get dry when they’re cooked. They melt right into whatever you’re baking, just like a high-quality chocolate chip should.
I also love the presentation of how finely chopping the chocolate chips makes for these tiny chocolate striations in the cookies. Like, how pretty are these!
Whether you’re 5 or 55, I guarantee you’ll love these slice and bake cookies this holiday season. Time to get baking!
For the cookies:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate 60% Cacao Baking Chips, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
For the chocolate coating:
- 1 1/2 cups Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate 60% Cacao Baking Chips
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter for 30 seconds. Add in both sugars and cream for another minute. Add in egg yolks and vanilla and cream until combined.
- Add in flour, baking powder, and salt, mixing until almost fully combined. Remove from mixer and fold in chopped dark chocolate baking chips and pecans.
- Get out a large piece of plastic wrap and place cookie dough on top. Roll the dough out into a 15-inch log and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Log can last in fridge for up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove cookie dough from fridge and cut into ¼ inch disks. Place disks 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes. Cookies should be the faintest bit golden brown, if at all. Allow cookies to cool completely on their baking sheets.
- To make the chocolate coating, place baking chips in a double boiler and heat until melted, stirring the entire time. Remove from heat and dip each cookie halfway into the melted chocolate. Place on a cooling rack and sprinkle with chopped pecans.